1. I’m 80
2. Finest cinema ever built.
3. Saw Tudor Rose there.
4. My late sister-in law worked in the box office.
5. The lights failed in an amateur operatic show in the late thirties
6. I accompanied my father to see his favourite film stars–Sonja Henie,Deanna Durbin.
7. My mother and I used to eat scollops on the way home from the Longford purchased from the chip shop opposite Stretford Baths.
8. Everyone in the cinema was crying when Will Fyffe shot his dog at the end of “Owd Bob”
9. As children we could never get in to see “H” (horror) films10I remember the applause for the Prince of Wales in the cinema.
11. I remember the cheers in the Longford for Neville Chamberlain after Munich.
12. Stage shows I saw: Nat Gonella,Florrie Forde,Frank Randle.
13. Saw the Halle with John Barborolli.
14. Double seats-magnificent.
In the late forties as a student postman(Stretford Post Office) at Christmas along with many others I used the Longford cafe as a meeting point forcoffee after our rounds were finished.
DO YOU HAVE ANY MEMORIES LIKE THIS, REMEBER JOHN OR WERE YOU PRESENT AT ANY OF THE ABOVE? PRESS THE COMMENTS LINK BELOW TO LET US KNOW.
Search the site
- A resource for those wishing to know more about one of Stretfords major architectural masterpieces and potential community focal points. Known as the Longford Cinema, Essoldo Stretford, Lucky 7 or Rank Bingo, it has been out of use for over 18 years. This site endorses local community sentiment & the what is generally understood to be the building owners intent to re instate the building to public use in whatever capacity. SIGN UP BELOW FOR UPDATES TO YOUR EMAIL
If you want to narrow down your view by category ...